2017 Distillation Workshops
House of Aromatics is excited to offer two 2-day distillation workshops in 2017!
From the forest to the bottle, you will gain a new appreciation for the power of essential oil and hydrosol. Tuition includes lunch, 5 mls essential oil and 2 oz. hydrosol of each day’s distillation.
June 17 -18 at House of Aromatics in Boulder, Utah, or
August 26-27 at Elderberry’s Farm in Paonia, Colorado*
Tuition $300 (Early-bird registration $250 by April 1 for either workshop)
20 participants max
Participants will meet Friday evening (June 16 or August 25) at 5:30 pm for a shared pot luck meal and casual meet & greet. Please bring something ready to eat – we will have a pot of soup. The evening will wrap up at 7:30 so everyone can get to their accommodations for an early to bed. (Directions will come in your welcome letter after registration is complete.)
Saturday and Sunday we will meet at 9:00 AM, and our days will finish at 6:00 PM. We will share a journey into the art, science and magic of essential oil distillation.
What we’ll do:
- Gather Conifer tree branches in the forest and prepare them for distillation
- Distill the prepared Conifer material: Saturday we will distill a single species; Sunday we will create a “Co-distillation” of multiple species
- Learn distiller’s terms like retort, charge, decanter, fraction, etc.
- “Decant” essential oil
- Learn about indications and applications of Conifer essential oils
- Take part in a “guided inner journey” to facilitate intuitive aspects of learning from Trees and Plants
- Share and dialog!
- Take home essential oil and hydrosol of each distillation!
What to bring:
- Clothes (jeans and long sleeve shirt) for outdoor “chores” as we will go to the forest to gather tree boughs that we will prepare to be distilled. Something you don’t mind getting resin stains on.
- Warm layers: jacket or sweatshirt and windbreaker, rain poncho
- Leather work gloves.
- Comfortable shoes for light work – a sturdy pair of tennis shoes would be fine.
- Sun hat – sun screen if you wish
- Lip balm if you wish
- Water bottle (1 quart or more!)
- Snacks for yourself
- Notebook and pen for journaling and note taking
- An open heart and inquisitive mind
- Musical instrument, if you wish
Our dog Hank Blu Bear will be with us at all times. When people arrive at our home, no matter how well he knows them, he gives the “treatment”: lots of barking, growling, a little hackled, and tail wagging the whole time. After a minute or so he’ll be your buddy!
More details for the June 17 -18 Distillation Workshop at House of Aromatics in Boulder, UT:
Major airports are Las Vegas (5 ½ hour drive) and Salt Lake City (4 ½ hours). Grand Junction Colorado has a smaller one (4 hour drive). Flights into Las Vegas tend to be cheaper.
Places to stay:
- Calf Creek camp ground (fills up fast!)
- Deer Creek camp ground (fills up fast!) Note: both campgrounds are about a half-hour drive away.
- Dispersed free camping in national forest 10-15 minutes from House of Aromatics (contact us for info!)
- Boulder Mountain Guest Ranch: next door!
- Boulder Mountain Lodge
- Circle Cliffs Motel
- Pole’s Place Motel
Food and Gas:
- Hills and Hollows: General store with a selection of natural foods, 24-hour gas
- Boulder Exchange: General store, 24-hour gas
- Hell’s Backbone Grill: upscale restaurant sourced from owners’ farm
- Burr Trail Grill: excellent burgers, beer, pie, etc. & locally sourced meats
House of Aromatics is in the middle of incredible scenic wonder. We are three hours from Zion National Park, two hours from Bryce Canyon National Park, one hour from Capitol Reef National Park and surrounded by the Grand Staircase National Monument. Make the workshop a part of a family vacation!
More details for the August 26-27 Distillation Workshop in Paonia, CO:
*Paonia locals and CSCH students $250 Tuition
Nearest airports are in Denver, CO (4 ½ hour drive) or Grand Junction, CO (1 ½ hour drive).
Places to stay:
There will be free camping on the workshop premises.
Here is a link for places to stay in Paonia. http://paoniachamber.com/north-fork-lodging/
- Indigo Autumn (health food store in downtown Paonia)
- The Living Farm Café uses all local farm-raised organic food
Nearby are loads of awesome outdoor adventures, organic farms and wineries, hot springs, and incredible scenic wonders. Make the workshop a part of your family vacation! Check out the links below:
Some nice words from folks who have attended previous workshops:
“It was so beautiful to be able to be a part of the sacred essential oil making process. Your mindfulness throughout everything you do in life is something that so many of us tend to overlook. This weekend changed the way I view every aspect of my life. To put it simply, thank you.”
“It was a powerful weekend. The positive intentions and spiritual practice that goes into your oil making process is unique and so beautiful. The elevated energy that vibrates within each essential oil you craft by hand sets it apart from all other EO’s. It was amazing to join in on the process of gathering, preparing and distilling the pinion pines, juniper and mountain sage. The ceremonies and giving back to the plants and earth were also very moving.” L.G.
“We all had such a wonderful time- for some it was transformational, for all it was moving and inspirational! You are an amazing teacher, peaceful warrior and guide. I am so grateful to be even a small part of your journey! With love” L.C.
“Thank you so much for providing me this amazing opportunity! I am forever affected by those two days that felt like much longer.” C.G.
$50 off to register by April 1, 2017!*
Click Here To Register, for questions call 435 335-7399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org w/subject EO Workshop.
*Paonia locals and CSCH students $250 whenever you register. Please enter coupon code at checkout: either paonia2017 or csch2017